As our favorite holiday approaches — a day dedicated to gorging ourselves on turkey and pie — we have to remember to take care of our beloved pets who are going to want some Turkey Day spoiling.
While it’s tempting to feed them table scraps (they do those big, sad eyes so well) it’s important to remember that there are a number of foods that are toxic to animals. So, be careful this Thanksgiving! Here’s what NOT to feed your pets:
Stuffing, the greatest Thanksgiving dish, should be enjoyed by humans only! This heavenly creation from above, unfortunately, tends to contain onions, scallions, and onions— ingredients that toxic to animals and are also known to cause anemia.
Although it’s tempting to give your dog a bone to chew on (they look so damn cute chewing on it!) turkey bones can cause pets to choke and if they swallow them — and the bones can splinter, puncturing the stomach or intestines. Instead, give pets pieces of COOKED turkey. Breast meat is best — and make sure you cut off all the bones
If you want to give your furbaby a Turkey Day treat, give your pet a piece of cooked turkey breast.
Turkey skins, and similar fatty foods, are hard for pets especially dogs) to digest. In more serious cases, consumption of fatty foods can lead to inflamation of the pancreas, resulting in pancreatitis.
Sage pops up in various Thanksgiving dishes (turkey brine, stuffing, etc.) so make sure it doesn’t make its way into your pet’s mouth. The resins and oils in sage can upset your furbaby’s stomach and even do damage to its central nervous system.
Nuts, like turkey skins, are high in fat which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and potentially pancreatitis in pets.
Nutmeg, a key ingredient in most pumpkin pies, is bad news for your doggo. It can have mild hallucinogenic properties that, when ingested by you lil baby pupper, can cause seizures and tremors.
If you’re the type of family who goes all our for Turkey Day and bakes your own bread, listen up: keep the raw dough away from pets. When your dog or cat cat ingests raw bread dough, the yeast continues to convert the sugars in the dough to carbon dioxide gas and alcohol. Simply put, your pets get bloated and drunk — which quickly turns into a life-threatening situation.
Pet owners should all know this one by now, but it’s always worth repeating: no chocolate for pets. It’s toxic. Tragic that something delicious could be toxic, but toxic nonetheless.
When dogs ingest mushrooms, they can experience vomiting, seizures, coma and even death.
So, no spilling any side dishes.
Now, we all know the point of Thanksgiving is to count of blessings while boozing it up with loved ones. BUT we can’t let our beloved pets in on the drunken fun. Alcoholic beverages and food products containing alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma and even death. Under no circumstances should your pet be given any alcohol.
Alcoholic beverages and even food products containing alcohol are bad for pets — it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, poor coordination, issues with the central nervous system, difficulty breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma and death.
Show your babies how much you love them by giving them pet friendly goodies and keeping them away from the human food!