Mary Salter is a grandmother from New South Wales, Australia who had a hankering for some ice cream sandwiches. However, after leaving a piece of one of the frozen dairy desserts on her driveway, she noticed something: it would not melt.
Not only would the sandwich not melt, she also noticed not a single animal attempted to eat the thing; not even ants! In fact, Salter remarked that they "flee in terror" at the sight of the thing.
Salter had to take to the Coles Supermarket's Facebook page to get to the bottom of her ice cream sandwich mystery.
People started chiming in with their own unmeltable sandwich stories.
A ton of media outlets picked up the story, as well.
A lot of people were shocked by the news.
Especially devoted ice cream sandwich lovers.
Ice cream should melt and if it doesn't, you shouldn't eat it. Real simple.— HGoss (@Fight4TheKids) July 31, 2017
Coles responded to all of the hullabaloo surrounding their ice cream sandwiches.
A spokesperson from the supermarket reportedly told News.com.au:
"Our ice cream sandwiches make use of very simple, commonly-used food techniques that help slow the melting process, and allows you to consume it without it falling apart in your hands. This technique includes adding thickener to the cream, creating a honeycomb-like structure which helps to slow the melting process. When the product starts to melt and liquid evaporates, you are left with what appears as foam."
Would you eat one of them?