Your browser may block some cookies by default. By clicking, you agree to allow our advertising partners to place their cookies and serve you more relevant ads. Visit our privacy policy page to view our privacy policy or opt-out.
1280-1494602078682-1494603646420.jpg

Doctors Warn That Eating Sushi Could Give You A Deadly Parasite

By Mark Pygas

Sushi has boomed in popularity in the West, but doctors are now warning that eating raw fish might not be the best idea. A team of doctors from Portugal are concerned after a 32-year-old man was admitted to the hospital complaining of pain in his abdomen just below his ribs, vomiting and with a fever. 

An endoscopy revealed that the larvae of a parasitic worm from the genus Anisakis was to blame. The condition, known as anisakiasis, is caused by eating undercooked or raw fish that has been contaminated. The invader burrows into the stomach walls and intestines of humans, and can be deadly if left unchecked. 

When the patient in question revealed that he had recently eaten sushi, doctors performed an endoscopy on the man, inserting a long tube with a camera into the stomach. A special net was then used to remove the larvae, and according to doctors, his symptoms resolved immediately.