In case you missed it this past weekend, much of the world closely observed one of the most anticipated events of 2018, Prince Harry’s wedding to Meghan Markle. The fairy tale wedding did not disappoint.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle went against several royal conventions. For one, they put an end to the long-standing streak of an all-white British monarchy, but they also got married on a weekend, rather than the royal tradition of weekday nuptials.
Here is the American side of the family showing off their royal wave.
This allowed for incredible celebrity sightings (don’t forget, Meghan was an actress on the popular TV series Suits), outfit changes, a wild party—and resulted in over 1.9 billion people tuning in live around the world
Here’s what you need to know about Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s Royal Wedding.
1. These were the larger-than-life florals cascading the walls of St. George Chapel, where the two got married.
2. Prince Harry and Meghan Markle became the sixteenth royal couple to get married at Windsor Castle since 1863.
3. Here's the ring Prince Harry proposed with. It was custom made by the court jewelers Cleave and Company, and featured one diamond from Botswana as well as two smaller stones from Harry's mother, Princess Diana's collection.
4. At the wedding, Meghan made a regal entrance, wearing a Givenchy dress and a tiara lent to her by the queen. Her veil was hand-embroidered with flora representing the 53 countries of the Commonwealth. She walked halfway down the aisle alone, until Prince Charles accompanied her to Prince Harry.
Quando uma imagem vale mais que mil palavras! 💛 . O blog está recheado de posts sobre o #casamentoreal! Um sobre todos os detalhes da cerimônia, outro sobre os dois vestidos de #meghanmarkle e mais um exclusivamente sobre o bolo real. 🍰 Link na BIO. . #InspireBrides #InspireBlog #casamentoreal #royalwedding #harryandmeghan #noiva #bride
5. At which point, the internet melted.
I'm in love with him😭💙 #katemiddleton #duchessofcambridge #catherinemiddleton #hrh #thecambridges #princewilliam #katemiddletonstyle #like4like #princelouisofcambridge #follow4follow #britishroyalfamily #royalfamily #dukeofcambridge #princegeorgeofcambridge #princesscharlotteofcambridge #katemiddletonfanpage #princesscharlotte #princegeorge #royalwedding #royalcouple #Meghanmarkle #williamandcatherine #katemiddletonlook #royalfamilyfan #princeharryofwales #buckinghampalace #london #windsor #thesussex #louisarthurcharles
That little "hi" after he lifted her veil!👑👑👏#PrinceCharles #DoriaRagland#RoyalWedding #BodaReal #MeghanMarkle #PrinceHarry #MeghanAndHarry #HarryAndMeghan #RoyalWedding2018 #PrinceHarryAndMeghan #PrinceGeorge #wedding #PrincessCharlotte #RoyalWeddingTODAY #RoyalFamily pic.twitter.com/yZm6NrT75l— Kren Feliz (@karenfelizlive) May 19, 2018
6. During the church ceremony, gospel singers sang “Stand By Me.”
7. Teenage cellist Sheik Kanneh-Mason performed.
8. Eventually the newlyweds made a picture-perfect exit.
Every once in a while there is a moment when time stands still.. that happened today.. You my friend.. were the epitome of grace, love and beauty. Every choice made at this wedding by you both will go down in history, not just because it was your wedding but because this incredible wedding stood for change and hope. Both things that the world needs desperately. Thank you for being the perfect picture of all things good.. seeing your union and love blessed in front of my eyes Made me so happy.. and tear up! 😑 I wish you both love happiness and togetherness always.. 💕
This has to be one of the most iconic pictures of the whole wedding! At this moment I was screaming in my head, “KISS, KISS, KISS!” And once they finally kissed my life was over! It was so beautiful and I’m so glad I got to experience it. . ———————— Follow me if you liked this photo for more 🤗. . #duchessofcambridge #princewilliam #theroyalfamily #theunitedkingdom #princephillip #katemiddleton #Queen #queenelizabeth #princecharles #meghanmarkle #duke #duchess #England #Scotland #princegeorge #princesscharlotte #diana #Europe #Princessanne #princessdiana #princess #queen #king #monarchy #monarch #London #oxford #princeharry
Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex made sure to pay tribute to the legacy of Princess Diana at their royal wedding at St. George’s Chapel in Windsor Castle. -The flowers -The reading -The veil -The hymn -The charities -The engagement ring -The guests -The reception ring #royalwedding #harryandmeghan #fashioncorner #royalwedding2018 #princeharry #meghanmarkle
9. At some point during the daytime luncheon celebration, Elton John performed some of his hits, and this lemon elderflower cake was served. The cake caused a bit of a stir, as it represented another shift from royal wedding tradition, which typically calls for fruit cake to be served the the reception.
10. Prince Harry, Meghan and Elton John weren't the only ones looking stunning during the Windsor Castle daytime affairs, which called for men to wear "morning dress" (morning coat + waist coat + tie + striped trousers) and women to wear a formal day dress (or skirt suit) with a mandatory hat.
Thank you @stellamccartney ! Realized Friday morning the beige dress I was planning to wear to Royal ceremony would photograph too “white” for a wedding.Her team did this overnite. Hat is vintage @philiptreacy been in my closet since 2005 with new feathers. OMG was this an extraordinary day! #Harry&Meghan #RoyalWedding #Lovedeveryminute
11. Only a select few of the daytime invitees were invited to continue to the royal couple's evening reception, which Idris Elba apparently DJed. And Serena Williams' beer pong skills allegedly put everyone else to shame.
And then she danced the night away.... ✨ A very special thank you to @dior for making me sparkle. Also thank you to my incredible team for your brilliance and dedicated hustle...no one just “wakes up like this,” and I feel so happy to work with you and be the canvas for your creativity... @mimicuttrell @patidubroff @kenorourke1 you are genius!! @natashapal @danasupnick you made it so much easier! Love u loads!
12. After Prince Charles and Camilla decided to "leave the young ones to it" around 11PM, there was a spectacular firework display, which many say was Harry's decision, as they remind him of his late mother, Princess Diana of Wales.
FIREWORKS OVER FROGMORE! I spotted this beautiful display over Harry and Meghan’s evening reception on my way back to the hotel last night. Just before they got together two years ago, I interviewed Harry in Orlando and he told me how excited he was to see the Disney fireworks every night and it reminded him of going there as a child with his mum Princess Diana. I bet this was his special request for their wedding party! ❤️🇬🇧
13. Rumor has it, the party continued into the early morning hours in London’s exclusive Chiltern Firehouse restaurant.
And after that, there was a private house party, making this wedding sound like the funnest and wildest the monarchy has maybe ever had.
But the hangover seems to have worn off quickly, as Kensington Palace released official photos of the wedding early Monday morning.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have released three official photographs from their Wedding day.— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) May 21, 2018
These photographs were taken by photographer Alexi Lubomirski at Windsor Castle, following the carriage procession. #RoyalWedding pic.twitter.com/WBim9EkI4D