Apple Is Investigating This Woman's Viral Video Of Her Exploding iPhone 7
There's a crazy exploding phone epidemic these days. First the Samsung Galaxy Note Fiasco got so bad that the Korean tech manufacturing giant discontinued the device altogether.
Samsung fanboys were definitely feeling the smugness from Apple lovers, who just used the blown-up phones as added fuel for their iPhone-romance.
However, there were some reports of exploding iPhone 7 batteries, too. Like that dude in Australia who's phone blew up while he left it in the car when he was surfing. There were other claims as well, but they didn't really catch fire or incite the same kind of public outcry like the exploding Note phones did.
But now, it looks like Apple has a lot of PR work to do after an iPhone user posted a video of her exploded phone smoking on Twitter.
The user, Brianna Olivas, claims that she wasn't even using the phone when it happened and it just erupted without warning.
Olivas mentions that her phone wasn't turning on the day before and she took it to an Apple store where employees said everything was fine with the phone.
"The next morning I was asleep with my phone charging next to my head, my boyfriend grabbed the phone and put it on the dresser. He went the the [sic] restroom ... and from the corner of his eye he saw my phone steaming and [heard] a squealing noise. By the time he got over to the phone it had already caught fire, he quickly grabbed the phone and threw it in the restroom ... as soon as he threw it in the restroom is [sic] blew up and more smoke started coming out of the phone," she said in an interview with Mashable.
The scary footage blew up on Twitter, garnering over 25,000 retweets and likes.
It also started a conversation on the eternal struggle between iPhone and Android users.
People then started tweeting at Apple support and letting them know that their phones blew up too.
People weren't really that confident in Apple's ability to fix the issue, however.
Hopefully this isn't a widespread issue, getting hot battery acid on your face is never fun.