The only thing harder than starting a diet — and mentally committing to eating right and exercising — is actually following through with your master plan. Sure, you might have been feeling really ambitious the day you set out to drop however-many pounds, and perhaps you even stretched that motivation for a week or month after, but it's so easy to slip up and want to throw in the towel on your fitness goal.
No one identifies with that struggle more than we do, so we've decided to share our absolute favorite weight loss quotes to keep you invigorated and motivated to achieve the body you want.
Bookmark this page while you're at it — these quotes will help you at any step of your weight-loss journey.
Funny Quotes you'll remember on the treadmill and chuckle about.
1. "Fitness is like marriage: you can't cheat on it and expect it to work."
2. "Unless you puke, faint, or die, keep going!"
3. "Food, like your money, should be working for you."
4. "If it was about knowledge, we would all be skinny and rich. It's not about what you know, but what you do!"
5. "You can't run from your problems, but it will help you lose weight."
Quotes by famous people ... because if Oprah got fit, you can too.
6. "Just believe in yourself. Even if you don't, pretend that you do and at some point, you will." —Venus Williams
7. "Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it." —Michael Jordan
8. "Getting my lifelong weight struggle under control has come from a process of treating myself as well as I treat others in every way." —Oprah Winfrey
9. "Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they’ve got a second." –William James
10. "Champions keep playing until they get it right." —Billie Jean King
11. ""There is no easy way out. Believe me, if there were, I would have bought it. And it would be one of my favorite things!" —Oprah (again)
12. "Eating smart is all about having an awareness of your body. The most obvious way to do that is by seeing it. So when you’re trying to lose weight, spend more time wearing less. I don’t think I could eat a plate of nachos naked—could you?" —Marisa Miller
13. "Fitness—if it came in a bottle, everybody would have a great body." —Cher
14. “The key thing is figuring out what your issues are, and it's really never about the food. You have to be real and honest with yourself. I had to stop and look and ask myself, ‘Why do I want this? What is the real reason?’ At times it was comfort food like chocolate. I love chocolate and I realized it relaxes me, so when you acknowledge what the issue is, you can control it better.” —Jennifer Hudson
15. “For me, exercise is more than just physical—it’s therapeutic.” —Michelle Obama
16. “If you take care of your body, it’ll take care of you. The benefit obviously is that I’m protecting my body from being harmed. I did my best to prepare and condition my body over time. If I didn’t do this, I’d look a mess because of the lifestyle I live. I mean, the moment you go off [your fitness and eating plan], you notice the difference. You move slower.” —Usher
17. “I hated every minute of the training, but I said: ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.’” —Muhammad Ali
Weight-loss motivation via guilt trip.
18. "Make time for it. Just get it done. Nobody ever got strong or got in shape by thinking about it. They did it."
19. "If you're tired of starting over, stop giving up."
20. "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try."
21. "You didn't gain all your weight in one day; you won't lose it in one day. Be patient with yourself."
22. "Be stronger than your excuses."
23. "A goal without a plan is just a wish."
24. "You can't cross the sea just be standing and staring at the water."
25. "Someone busier than you is running right now."
26. “Working out is never convenient. But neither is illness, diabetes and obesity!”
27. "If you have 30 minutes for Facebook, you have 1 hour for the gym!”
28. "Excuses don't burn calories."
More motivation quotes ... but you have to promise to stop putting off your workout as soon as you finish reading these.
29. "It has to be hard so you'll never ever forget."
30. "Weight loss doesn't begin in the gym with a dumb bell; it starts in your head with a decision."
31. "If you have discipline, drive, and determination … nothing is impossible."
32. "Eliminate the mindset of can't — because you can do anything."
33. "Most people give up right before the big break comes — don’t let that person be you."
34. "If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you."
35. "It's going to be a journey. It's not a sprint to get in shape."
36. "Nobody is perfect, so get over the fear of being or doing everything perfectly. Besides, perfect is boring."
37. "Exercise should be regarded as a tribute to the heart."
38. "Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it."
39. "I always believed if you take care of your body it will take care of you."
40. "Looking after my health today gives me a better hope for tomorrow."
41. "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try."
42. "If you don't do what's best for your body, you're the one who comes up on the short end."
43. "The struggle you're in today is developing the strength you need for tomorrow."
44. "Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out."
45. "To change your body, you must first change your mind."
46. “On the other side of your workout is the body and health you want!”
47. “Workouts are like life. The harder it is, the STRONGER YOU BECOME!”
Now hit the ground running! You can do it!