We've all been at that awkward family gathering: your relatives are arguing about god-knows-what while you're in the corner, moving food around your plate with a fork, hoping that you'll magically disappear into the air.
Fear these awkward dinners no more, dear reader! Here are some family-friendly why-jokes with answers that will steer the conversation away from boring and annoying topics and bring the whole house together with laughter.
Read on for 39 riddle jokes that'll entertain the whole family.
1. Why do you never see elephants hiding in trees?
Because they're very good at it.
2. Why do geese fly south in the winter?
Walking takes too long.
3. Why do flamingos always lift one leg while standing?
Because if they lifted both legs they'd fall over.
4. Why do ants never get sick?
Because they have little antibodies.
5. Why did the old man fall into a well?
He couldn’t see that well.
6. Why don’t seagulls live by the bay?
Because they would be bagels.
7. Why does Snoop Dog carry an umbrella?
8. Why don't helicopters fly in the morning?
9. Why shouldn’t you invite a nosy pepper to your house?
He’ll get jalapeño business.
10. Why can't you trust a burrito?
They tend to spill the beans!
11. Why’d the snail get a giant letter S painted on his new Porsche?
So that people will point and scream “Look at that S-car go!”
12. Why couldn't the lifeguard save the hippie?
He was too far out.
13. Why was the tomato red?
It saw the salad dressing.
14. Why does a chicken coop have two doors?
If it had four doors it'd be a chicken sedan.
15. Why do mermaids wear seashells?
Because they grew out of their B shells.
16. Why did the fungi leave the fungus?
There was not mushroom.
17. Why did the mushroom go to the party?
Because he's a fungi.
18. Why did the banana lose his driver's license?
He peeled out.
19. Why do scuba divers fall backwards out of the boat?
Because if they fell forwards they'd still be in the boat.
20. Why aren't you allowed to run in a campsite?
Because you can only ran, since it's past tents.
21. Why does the Norwegian Navy put barcodes on all their ships?
So when they return to port, they can scan-de-navy-in.
22. Why was 6 afraid of 7?
Because 7 8 9!
23. Why did seven eat nine?
Because you're supposed to eat three squared meals a day.
24. Why don't cannibals eat clowns?
Because they taste funny.
25. Why can’t a pirate remember the alphabet?
Because they get lost at C!
26. Why was the bear happy and sad all the time?
He was a bi-polar bear.
27. Why did Star Wars episodes 4, 5, and 6 come before 1, 2, and 3?
Because in charge of scheduling Yoda was.
28. Why do trees seem suspicious on sunny days?
Dunno, they're just a bit shady.
29. Why can't you tell a kleptomaniac a joke?
They always take things, literally.
30. Why couldn't the bike stand up?
It was two-tired.
31. Why can't you hear a pterodactyl go to the bathroom?
Because the "P" is silent!
32. Why did the scarecrow win a Nobel prize?
He was out standing in his field.
33. Why should you always wear two pairs of pants when golfing?
In case you get a hole in one.
34. Why couldn't the Buddhist vacuum under the couch?
Because he had no attachments.
35. Why do bagpipers walk when they play?
To get away from the noise.
36. Why don't runners eat before a race?
37. Why does E.T have such big eyes?
He saw his phone bill.
38. Why did the hipster burn his mouth while drinking coffee?
He drank it before it was cool.
39. Why does everyone want to move to Switzerland?
Well, the flag is a big plus.
Now that you've managed to break the ice, go enjoy your food!