"We live out the love of God justly by publicly saying #BlackLivesMatter," writes the United Church of Christ about the growing global movement protesting the death of Black civilians killed by police, or those who have been denied justice for too long.
The recent police killings of George Floyd in Minneapolis and Breonna Taylor in Louisville are just the latest in an unfortunate string of violence and injustice against Black civilians, which has gone on too long.
Whether you're looking for something to write on a sign for an upcoming protest or just some words of hope and guidance to get you through this time, keep scrolling for a compilation of Bible quotes that support Black Lives Matter.
Black Lives Matter Quotes from the Bible
1. “Blessed are those who have regard for the weak; the LORD delivers them in times of trouble.” (Psalm 41:1)
2. "This is what the Lord says: Be fair-minded and just. Do what is right! Help those who have been robbed; rescue them from their oppressors. Quit your evil deeds! Do not mistreat foreigners, orphans, and widows. Stop murdering the innocent!" (Jeremiah 22:3)
3. “Our desire is not that others might be relieved while you are hard pressed, but that there might be equality. At the present time your plenty will supply what they need, so that in turn their plenty will supply what you need. The goal is equality," (2 Corinthians 8:13-15)
4. “Speak up for the people who have no voice, for the rights of all the down-and-outers. Speak out for justice! Stand up for the poor and destitute!” (Proverbs 31:8-9)
5. “Because of the devastation of the afflicted, because of the groaning of the needy, Now I will arise,” says the Lord ; “I will place him in the safety for which he longs.” (Psalms 12:5)
6. "The Lord is a shelter for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble." (Psalms 9:9)
7. "But you have eyes and heart only for your dishonest gain, for shedding innocent blood, and for practicing oppression and violence." (Jeremiah 22:17)
8. "Woe to those who decree iniquitous decrees, and the writers who keep writing oppression, to turn aside the needy from justice and to rob the poor of my people of their right, that widows may be their spoil, and that they may make the fatherless their prey!" (Isaiah 10:1-3)
9. "The Lord works righteousness and justice for all who are oppressed." (Psalm 103:6)
10. "“Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke?" (Isaiah 58:6-9)
11. "Stoop down and reach out to those who are oppressed. Share their burdens, and so complete Christ’s law. If you think you are too good for that, you are badly deceived." (Galatians 6:1-3)
12. "May he defend the cause of the poor of the people, give deliverance to the children of the needy, and crush the oppressor!" (Psalm 72:4)
13. "Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends." (John 15:13)
14. "The Lord has shown us what is good and what is required of us: 'To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.'" (Micah 6:8)
15. "Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” (Genesis 1:26)
If you are looking for specific ways to donate your time or money to Black Lives Matter and other antiracist organizations, we have created a list of resources to get you started.