The Best Memes From Tonight’s Controversial Episode of 'Game of Thrones'
Massive Game of Thrones spoilers ahead, so if you didn't watch the latest episode, read at your own risk!
Missandei's last words before being executed by Cersei was "dracarys." And that's precisely what happened to King's Landing, unsurprisingly. Game of Thrones fans had hoped Daenerys would do the right thing, but even when it was clear she was the victor (the Lannister army dropped their swords, and the bell was rung to send the message of surrender), she still turned all of King's Landing to ashes. Cersei died in Jaime's arms as the castle collapsed on top of them, Euron died trying to kill Jaime, The Hound died killing his brother, and a lot of innocent people died from being roasted by Drogon. While fans have been waiting to see Daenerys defeat Cersei, this wasn't exactly the way they wanted it to go down. Here's how the internet responded to tonight's polarizing episode.
1. First of all: Happy Mother's Day!
Game of Thrones *did* kill Tywin Lannister on Father's Day, so everything just came back full circle. Just not in the way we had hoped.
2. Jaime killing Cersei would be unexpectedly expected.
Instead, the Game of Thrones showrunners just went with expected. Got it.
3. This one goes out to all the fans who were waiting for that epic Cersei death.
Instead, Cersei was crushed by rocks. Oh-kay.
4. You really just can't go back from burning an entire city to the ground.
5. At least we got Cleganebowl?
We'll take what we can get.
6. Varys was truly the only respectable person on this show. RIP.
Poor, poor Varys.
7. This episode actually made us feel for Cersei.
Not sure how the writers made us feel bad for Cersei, but they did it. Well done.
8. Pretty much how we all feel about Daenerys at this point.
Do not mess with the Dragon Queen.
9. Sansa might as well say, "I told you so."
Maybe listen to smart, logical people!!
10. This is why they brought Jon back from the dead? Useless.
Unclear why the Northerners still continued to fight, but Jon wasn't able to stop them.
11. Honestly, if Drogon had just taken out all the scorpions in Episode 4, none of this would have happened.
TBH we still love Drogon, even if he burned down all of King's Landing.
12. To sum it up...
Sorry not sorry.
13. Looks like Dany got her Starbucks.
Extra hot, please.
14. Arya's face is everything.
Have we not been through enough?
15. Greyworm went rogue!
At least this is understandable. Dude is still very sad and angry about Missandei!
16. Is Jon thinking, "We defeated an army of a million zombies to then...burn a city to the ground?"
Humans are the worst.
17. Arya just scribbled "Daenerys" in her head.
18. TFW you realize the ending was given away a long time ago.
19. Our time with 'Game of Thrones' has lasted longer than a lot of IRL human relationships.
So for the writers to do this to us is just cruel.
20. So much regret!
You. Know. Nothing. Jon. Snow.
21. If we needed to summarize what happened with pictures...
22. It's all just very exhausting.
Is there an option for a re-do?
23. At least there's the finale left to scorch whatever is left of our hearts.
Good luck, everyone.
Winter Dracarys is coming.