Christmas and tradition go hand-in-hand like peanut butter and jelly or medical dramas and the uncomfortable knowledge that no doctor who's ever looked after you in real life cares a fraction as much about their patients as the ones on TV do. Chilling.
And while TV might not keep always "keep it real", there are some families who are opting to bypass all of the overly-sentimental and saccharine attempts and holiness and yuletide cheer this Christmas season.
Instead, they used their holiday cards to tell a joke. Because if we're being completely honest, most of us hold on to them for a long time because we feel bad about throwing them out, not because they wow us or anything.
1. When you just found out Santa wasn't real...
...but you're trying to have yourself a merry little Christmas anyway.
2. Then there was this excellent family and their series of Christmas cards.
3. For years they've been documenting what it's been like raising kids.
4. And having to deal with the insanity of making sure they don't murder themselves/destroy the home over the holidays.
5. I remember my first joy ride.
Hehe, four years old was a wild time.
6. Once the boys got a baby sister, things became infinitely more interesting.
You can check out their original Reddit post about their Holiday misadventures here.
7. Then there are people who pose with those they really love at Christmas time.
This dog and cat duo rocks.
8. What about this savage Christmas card all single people can relate to?
Emily doesn't look too broken up about it, however. Her smile says it all.
9. The Bergerons have a hilarious, long-standing Holiday tradition, too.
10. Every Christmas is a family photo affair.
11. With wonderful themes like every Redneck ever.
12. And insufferable French Canadian family.
13. Gender swapping!
14. Dance-tastic extravaganza!
15. Fans of The Cure will love this card.
16. OK, this little cute message is actually amazing.
17. This legit looks like a family I grew up with. So good.
18. Have yourself an enlightened little Christmas...
19. Hands down favorite.
20. He kinds of looks like Ryan Reynolds pretending to be a nerd.
21. American Gothic FTW.
22. Everyone's favorite Mid-Western aunt and uncle.
23. Gotta love the classy t-shirt/drink combo.
24. These people are desperately clinging to their '30s.
The best part about the Bergerons is that they've documented all of the work and thought-processes that went behind each year's card. It's pretty darn great, you can check it all out here.
25. There's another family that's been providing knee-slapping cards for years, as well.
26. Nothing like a little face swap to freak you out for the holidays.
27. This wonderfully weird one.
Straight out of the Canadian trailer park.
28. The overalls/big bear combo is truly chilling.
29. Looks like child pageant queen is a recurring theme
30. The Christmas colored headbands are a nice touch.
As are the visible back hair patches.
31. The family that bowls together...
...looks like Kingpin extras together.
32. As hilarious as this one is, it does present a solution to a problem.
No ornaments? No problem! All you need is a drinking... problem. Well I guess there is a problem, it's just a different kind.
33. Then there was this clear photoshop.
I'm pretty sure those kids don't belong to them. Many, they probably had some very confused family members that Christmas.
34. This one really makes you appreciate the pets that stood still up above.
In all fairness, if I was a cat, I'd probably freak out at the blink/sound of a flash myself.