It's National Coming Out Day, and whether you're coming out for the first time, came out and want to share your story, or you're an LGBTQ+ ally, posting an inspiration (or hilarious) quote or caption on Instagram (or your fave social media platform) is one great way to join the cause and celebrate the day. Here's a list of captions and quotes from all over the internet, as well as celebrities and LGBTQ+ figures. Happy National Coming Out Day!
1. "My pronouns are 100% that / b*tch."
You can literally never go wrong with a Lizzo lyric. Ever.
2. "Feeling queer, won't delete later."
Post away. And never delete! Bless everyone's feeds!
3. "Let bygones be bygones, bi girls be bi girls" -'True Blood'
Raise your hands if Pam was your fave True Blood character because she knew what was UP.
4. "Find out who you are and be that person. That's what your soul was put on this Earth to be. Find that truth, live that truth and everything else will come." -Ellen DeGeneres
Ellen Degeneres for President 2020!
5. “My queerness is not a vice, is not deliberate, and harms no one.” - Natalie Clifford Barney
Born in 1876, Natalie Clifford Barney was a poet and playwright. And she spoke the truest words even back then.
6. "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
So sure, this quote can be applied to pretty much anything and everything. But it's beautiful (and timeless), is it not?
7. "That's what happens when you're finally honest about who you are; you find others like you."- Chaz Bono
Chaz Bono, a trans man, is a writer, musician, and actor. You can watch his documentary Becoming Chaz, which explores his experience. A true inspiration!
8. "...We deserve to experience love fully, equally, without shame and without compromise." -Ellen Page
Who else cried when Ellen Page talked about coming out and living her truest self. Bravo!!
9. "What is straight? A line can be straight, or a street, but the human heart, oh, no, it's curved like a road through mountains.”- Tennessee Williams
Inspirational, and will make your Lit 101 professor proud.
10. "I'm just someone who cannot fake it. I can only do something with my full heart invested or just not do it at all." -Amandla Stenberg
Gen Z is going to save us all, we swear.
11. “The single best thing about coming out of the closet is that nobody can insult you by telling you what you’ve just told them.” -Rachel Maddow
Because there is nothing wrong with how you identify. Nothing.
12. “It is revolutionary for any trans person to choose to be seen and visible in a world that tells us we should not exist.” -Laverne Cox
All. Hail. Queen. Laverne. Cox.
13. “Personally, coming out was one of the most important things I’ve ever done, lifting from my shoulders the millstone of lies that I hadn’t even realized I was carrying.” -Sir Ian McKellen
YAS, we love you, Magneto!
14. “If Harry Potter taught us anything it’s that no one should live in a closet.” -J.K. Rowling
Even the most powerful wizard in the world was gay. We love and miss you, Dumbledore.
15. "The future is fluid."
Here's to a better, brighter, and more queer future!
16. "Tell 'em boy, bi!"
Be loud and proud. And if anyone questions your sexuality, you know what to tell 'em.
17. "We are powerful because we have survived." - Audre Lorde
Audre Lorde was black lesbian poet who endlessly shaped literature and intersectional feminism. Use her quote today if you want her words and wisdom to live on!
18. "I believe that telling our stories, first to ourselves and then to one another and the world, is a revolutionary act." - Janet Mock
Tell your story today. And every day.