Last year's singing competition sleeper hit, The Masked Singer is soon to be back on the air with a new crop of mystery celebrities showcasing their vocal talents in inane costumes to obscure their identities. However, as was the case last season, there are already a few potential spoilers that might lead us to discover their identities before they're unmasked.
Who are the contestants of The Masked Singer Season 2? Spoilers!
First, let's get the secret identities out of the way. A few of this year's 16 players — up from 12 contestants in Season 1 — chose some super weird identities.
Their personas, revealed in a sneak peek on Sunday, Sept. 15, were as follows:
- Skeleton: The big clue seemed to be the number "4261." Perhaps that's a date of birth?
- Fox: This contestant at one point refers to himself as a superhero, which could point to someone from the MCU.
- Ice Cream: They have Valentine's Day circled on the calendar and say they live for "half of February."
- Eagle: They make a big deal about their red bandana and point to an eagle's body temperature (106º F) as a clue.
- Tree: Pointedly uses the word "delicious" to describe things and says even their friends and family have to be in disguise.
- Flamingo: This singer pointedly mentions mascara — so perhaps they're a beauty influencer. They also sing the hell out of "Lady Marmalade" in a preview!
- Butterfly: She says something about The Butterfly Effect and seems to hint to prayer as a possible clue.
- Penguin: Penguin's clue seems to hint that they've had a lot of crazy hairstyles.
- Leopard: They seem to have a British accent and hint that they've been around the president in the past.
- Egg: This contestant hints, "Mom always told me life has an expiration date so always work hard for the first and last vowels of the alphabet." That would be A and U.
- Rottweiler: He has a six-pack and seems to be someone with hip-hop roots. At the end, they say, "roses are blue, violets are red."
- Flower: There was a number 314 in the background.
- Thingamajig: At over 7 feet, they're very tall, and say they have a "puzzling" persona. They also say, "Don't call me Chewbacca, though we do celebrate together." The sneak peek also shows them singing, "Rainbow" by Kacey Musgraves, which brings Nicole to tears.
- Panda: Seems to hint to the culinary arts, so many think it's someone with a cooking show.
- Black Widow: The only possible clue we spotted for this contestant was a tarot card.
- Ladybug: The 16th contestant was revealed on Emmy night — but no clues about their real identity were shared!
Another set of clues for the cast this season refers to their collective accolades, which are as follows:
- 140 films
- 22 Broadway musicals
- 22 gold records
- 20 platinum records
- 6 multiplatinum records
- 31 Billboard No. 1s
- 19 Emmys
- 10 Grammys
- 3 Walk of Fame stars
- 10 lifetime achievement awards
Between them, they also have 15 marriages and 8 divorces.
The internet has already made some educated guesses about who the singers are.
The consensus seems to be that Flower is Mayim Bialik, for a couple reasons. She talks about blossoming, which could refer to being a gigantic rose, or to her show in the 1990s, Blossom. The number 314 also seems like a clue that points to the actress, because 314 happened to be the apartment number of her Big Bang Theory character, Amy.
Another contestant a lot of people feel confident they've guessed is Eagle. The star requested a red bandanna and leader jacket for their persona to wear, which is very close to Poison lead singer Bret Michaels' signature look.
However, others point to a different rock legend as a possibility: Alice Cooper, pointing to the desert imagery and the sun medallion as a clue to the Arizona rock star's roots.
A third guess that has gained traction is Willie Nelson, whose style of dress definitely mimics the one worn by the Eagle.
We'll update with more spoilers about The Masked Singer Season 2 as they come out, so keep checking back. The Masked Singer airs Wednesdays at 8 p.m. ET starting Sept. 25 on FOX.