If you're going through a breakup, we're sorry, or alternately, congratulations — whatever sits best with you today.
Breakups can be hard, but they can also be empowering. Break up with the right person, and you'll feel like your life is just beginning. That said, even knowing you've made the right decision doesn't always make the process of uncoupling any easier.
No matter which end of the breakup you find yourself on, there's a chance that you're turning to social media to seek solace. You might even want to post a photo of how happy you are and how well you're doing, or announce the breakup to your followers on social media so you don't have to navigate questions and pep talks from your individual friends.
If you're looking for breakup captions for your Instagram posts, look no further. These are the best funny, sad, and short captions for your breakup post.
Sad breakup captions for Instagram
1. When things don't work out, I know that something better is waiting for me.
2. Love is unconditional. Relationships are not.
3. Six letters, two words, easy to say, hard to explain, harder to do: Move on.
4. "I make no apologies for how I chose to repair what you broke." —Grey's Anatomy
5. "If he were feeling what I'm feeling then he would know how it feels." —My Best Friend's Wedding
6. "Hearts will never be practical until they are made unbreakable." —The Wizard of Oz
Short breakup captions for Instagram
7. Choosing me and my happiness has been the best decision yet.
8. No boyfriend, no problems.
9. Your value doesn't decrease based on someone's inability to see your worth.
10. "No, I'm no one's wife. But, oh, I love my life." —Chicago
11. Someday, it's gonna make sense.
12. Sometimes when we lose our way, we find ourselves.
Funny breakup captions for Instagram
13. You were my cup of tea, but I drink coffee now.
14. Not your baby.
15. Instagram partner? You mean self-timer?
16. I hope you step on a Lego.
17. "I don't need anyone. Because I can do every single thing that a person in a relationship can. Everything. Even zip up my own dress." —30 Rock
18. "Maybe I won't get married, ya know? Maybe I'll do one of those Eat, Pray, Love things." —The Mindy Project
These quotes about breakups can also make for great Instagram captions
19. "Let this be the year you choose courage over fear." —Morgan Harper Nichols
20. "Find the love you seek by first finding the love within yourself." —Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
21. "I think it's important to realize you can miss something but not want it back." —Paulo Coelho
22. "Stop filling the spaces in between with distractions, and the right energy will flow in." —Amy Chan
23. "No one can save us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path." —Buddha
24. "The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud." —Coco Chanel
25. "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." —Dr. Seuss
26. "The woman who does not require validation from anyone is the most feared individual on the planet." —Mohadesa Najumi
27. "I like my relationships like I like my eggs: over easy." —Jared Kintz
28. "Love lasts about seven years. That's how long it takes for the cells of the body to totally replace themselves." —Francoise Sagan
29. "If you don't love yourself, how the hell are you gonna love somebody else?" —RuPaul Charles
30. "No looking back, spaceships don't come equipped with rearview mirrors." —André 3000, "International Players Anthem"