In October of 1996, media mogul Rupert Murdoch launched the Fox News Channel. Before long, it became the country’s premier conservative cable news channel, dominating the cable network ratings and gaining millions of followers along the way.
Today, the channel presents up to 20 hours of live programming per day every day of the week. Over the years, Fox News has offered more in the way of commentary and opinion programming (as opposed to straight news reporting), and is generally understood to be the conservative-leaning channel, with programming that clearly favors the Republican Party and tends to portray the Democratic Party in a negative light.
Who owns Fox News now?
Fox News is still owned by Fox Corporation, which is itself owned by the Murdoch family. Rupert Murdoch is the company’s chairman, and his son Lachlan is the executive chairman and CEO. Rupert also owns News Corp, which gives him ownership over hundreds of local, national, and international publishing outlets. He is currently 90 years old.
Are Fox News ratings dropping?
Criticism of the channel was at an all-time high during the presidency of Donald Trump. Detractors said the channel essentially became a mouthpiece for the president, creating a feedback loop and becoming something akin to state TV.
After Donald Trump lost the 2020 U.S. presidential election, Fox News’ two-decade-long winning streak came to an abrupt end. The channel’s ratings experienced a bit of a free fall, which led to a number of programming and lineup changes. Many Fox viewers defected to OANN or Newsmax following the election, but have since appeared to make their way back to Fox.
Here are some of the most popular Fox News programs:
- Fox News @ Night — Late-night news and interview program hosted by Shannon Bream.
- Tucker Carlson Tonight — Fox’s most-watched prime-time cable news show, hosted by Tucker Carlson.
- Hannity — Political issues of the day, hosted by Sean Hannity.
- The Ingraham Angle — Evening political and pop culture talk program hosted by Laura Ingraham.
- Fox & Friends First — Early-morning news and talk program hosted by Jillian Mele and Todd Piro.
- Fox & Friends — Fox News’ breakfast talk program hosted by Steve Doocy, Ainsley Earhardt, Brian Kilmeade, and Janice Dean on weekdays. Hosted by Jedediah Bila, Will Cain, and Pete Hegseth on Saturdays.
- The Faulkner Focus — Midday news and interview program hosted by Harris Faulkner.
- Outnumbered — Opinion and debate program hosted by Harris Faulkner, Emily Compagno, and Kayleigh McEnany.
- The Story with Martha MacCallum — News analysis hosted by Martha MacCallum.
- Your World with Neil Cavuto — Business program hosted by Neil Cavuto.
- The Five — Roundtable discussion program hosted by Greg Gutfeld, Dana Perino, Jesse Watters, Juan Williams, and a daily guest.
- Justice with Judge Jeanine — Crime and political issue show hosted by Jeanine Pirro.
Tucker Carlson Refuses to Answer Whether He's Been Vaccinated
Weatherman Brooks Garner Is Leaving FOX 31
Tucker Carlson's Lip Got More Attention Than the News on a Recent Episode of His Show
Fox News' Peter Doocy Married Journalist Hillary Vaughn
Tucker Carlson's Children Are Following in His Footsteps
What Happened to Steve Doocy From 'Fox & Friends'?
Juan Williams of Fox News Isn't Leaving Anytime Soon, but He Was Fired by NPR
Don't Worry, Shannon Bream Isn't Leaving Fox News Anytime Soon
Ainsley Earhardt Is Central to 'Fox and Friends,' but Is She Going to Leave?
Fox News Anchor Todd Piro Is on Paternity Leave After the Birth of His Daughter
Fox Business Canceled ‘Lou Dobbs Tonight’ After a Defamation Lawsuit Was Filed
Brian Kilmeade Was Absent from 'Fox & Friends' — What Happened to Him?
Fox Host Sandra Smith Has a New Show — Will Her Fans Follow Her?
Fox News’ Maria Bartiromo Is “Losing Respect” With Election Coverage, Says Ex-Colleague
Dean Cain And Will Cain Aren’t Related — Unless Fox News Is a Family
Did Rob Schmitt Abruptly Leave 'Fox & Friends First'?
Jeanine Pirro’s Fox News Show Was Not Canceled Despite Rumors She'd Been Fired
Fox News Anchor's Incredulous Hot Mic Reaction to Misinformation Is All of Us
‘Fox and Friends’ Decamps to New Jersey, Sparking Confusion and Controversy
Fox News’ Lisa Boothe Is Keeping Mum About Her Love Life